Data Science Internship
Posted on Aug. 31, 2023 by InternPlug
- Chicago, United States of America
- Full time
- 1 Vacancy
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can’t be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You’ll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers’ lives. We’ll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you’ll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you’ll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
Do you enjoy problem solving, quantitative reasoning, and technology? Are you interested in working in a collaborative, friendly environment? If so, we invite you to consider a Summer 2024 internship at Allstate with the Data, Discovery & Decision Science (D3) team! D3 is responsible for supporting other internal business units with a broad range of data, research and analytical projects. With a fast-growing team of highly skilled personnel, D3 provides a unique learning environment through formal training curriculum, mentoring, informal everyday coaching and hands-on training.
In D3, we use mathematical, statistical, and machine-learning techniques to assist in the research and development of pricing and economic models, data-visualization apps, and decision-making tools. We build products and knowledge to help business leaders, agents, and customers make better, data-driven decisions. And we solve cool and complex problems to provide our customers with better value and protection through projects using telematics data, aerial imagery and Natural Language Processing. The Data Scientist role requires Analytic Agility, the ability to quickly learn new modeling/machine learning techniques, programming languages, and see how these ideas can integrate to optimize the business.
This role is responsible for leading the use of data to make decisions. This includes: The coding/development of tools that use machine learning/predictive modeling to make business decisions, searching for and integrating new data (both internal and external) that improves our modeling and machine learning results (and ultimately our decisions), and discovery of solutions to business problems that can be solved through the use of machine learning/predictive modeling.
The following are the areas of responsibility the Data Science Intern will be exposed in some capacity:
- Uses best practices, with limited coaching, to develop statistical, machine learning techniques to build models that address business needs
- Utilizes effective project planning techniques to break down basic and occasionally moderately complex projects into tasks and ensure deadlines are kept
- Uses and learns a wide variety of tools and languages to achieve results (e.g., R, Python, Spark, SQL)
- Collaborates with the team in order to improve the effectiveness of business decisions through the use of data and machine learning/predictive modeling
- Innovates on projects by using new modeling techniques or tools
- Executes on modeling/machine learning projects effectively
- Communicates findings to team and leadership ensure models are well understood and incorporated into business processes
- Reviews and evaluates on appropriateness of techniques, given current modeling practices, to senior leadership
Allstate Internship Program:
- Target start date: May/June 2024
- 12-week summer internship program
- An attractive compensation package
- Collaborative team environment
- Planned intern activities; including lunches with Allstate officers as keynote speakers
- Volunteer/community service opportunities
- Potential to receive possible full-time employment after graduation
- Currently pursuing a degree in a quantitative field (e.g. mathematics, statistics, computer or physical science).
- Pursuit of a graduate degree strongly preferred.
- Ability to solve problems, think critically, and communicate clearly.
- Knowledge of statistical modeling, machine learning, mathematical optimization, and/or data mining
- Experience with programming.
- An understanding of algorithmic scaling and complexity a plus.
- Experience with big-data tools (e.g. spark) a plus.
Compensation offered for this role is between $20 and $42 an hour and is based on experience and qualifications.
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that’s just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you’ll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life - including a generous paid time off policy. For a full description of Allstate’s benefits, visit allstate.jobs/benefits
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please click “here” for information regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please click “here” for information regarding the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
To view the “EEO is the Law” poster click “here”. This poster provides information concerning the laws and procedures for filing complaints of violations of the laws with the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs
To view the FMLA poster, click “here”. This poster summarizing the major provisions of the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and telling employees how to file a complaint.
It is the Company’s policy to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs. Therefore, any discriminatory action taken on account of an employee’s ancestry, age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual and reproductive health decision, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, race (include traits historically associated with race, including, but not limited to, hair texture and protective hairstyles), religion (including religious dress), sex, or sexual orientation that adversely affects an employee's terms or conditions of employment is prohibited. This policy applies to all aspects of the employment relationship, including, but not limited to, hiring, training, salary administration, promotion, job assignment, benefits, discipline, and separation of employment.
Sept. 30, 2023
Are you Qualified for this Internship Role?
Share with Friends!
(Intern) Enterprise Analytics Office Data Science Internship
As a team member in the Finance and Internal Audit department at Nationwide, the opportunities ar…