Doc Summer Internship Programme - Christchurch
Posted on Sept. 6, 2023 by InternPlug
- Christchurch, New Zealand
- Full time
- 1 Vacancy
Job detailsJob reference: DOC/1742360A
Date posted: 31-Aug-2023
Application close date: 10-Sep-2023
- Are you a tertiary student looking for meaningful work this summer?
- Are you considering a career in the public sector?
- Do you want to contribute to our kaupapa: Papatūānuku Thrives?
Unearth your passion for Conservation: Take the first step towards an unforgettable career.
The 2023/24 Summer Internship Programme is now open for applications!
Department of Conservation Te Papa Atawhai (DOC) serves to protect and sustain nature across Aotearoa. We put nature and people at the heart of our mahi, guided by te reo Māori, te ao Māori and Te Tiriti o Waitangi.
DOC is the government agency responsible for conserving New Zealand's natural and historic heritage. As part of the internship programme, you will work with a wide range of organisations and individuals to protect native taonga species and special places, so they are here for generations to come, and help New Zealanders get involved in conservation.
What's on offer
- a 14-week fixed-term paid internship (13 November 2023 – 16 February 2024)
- a role within a team/business unit with a specific outcome for you to achieve
- on the job learning and development
- support and guidance from both your workplace buddy and our Capability Development team
- comprehensive induction process held in Wellington with an overnight stay on Matiu/Somes Island
- networking opportunities and weekly online sessions – hear from experts and learn about our work
- we are a great place to work (we've won awards!)
We have up to five internship opportunities based in Christchurch within the following areas:
- Freshwater Research Intern – assist our Science and Technical Advisors with responsibilities in the freshwater fish research and management programme.
- Plant Samples Intern – protect our taonga by digitising and storing plant samples collected from Public Conservation Land.
- Tenure Review Intern – support the capture of information pertaining to Tenure Review implementation in the Eastern and Southern South Island.
- Recreational Signage Intern – support recreational activity through the provision of accurate site information on Departmental signs.
- RMA Planning Intern – contribute to the improvement of DOC's advocacy work by reviewing resource consent applications and plan changes, research existing planning provisions, and assist with the preparation of submissions.
Check out the attached internship booklet (found in the job ad on our DOC Careers website) to read more about each specific opportunity.
You know about us, so what about you?
We are looking for students with:
- a high level of integrity
- the ability to join the dots creatively
- an aptitude for solving problems
- a growth mindset, who are always willing to learn new things
- radiant energy and enthusiasm
- endless curiosity.
To be considered, you'll need to meet all of the criteria below:
- be a full-time student at a New Zealand tertiary institution (or have completed your degree in the last six months)
- have an existing entitlement to work in New Zealand (eg a valid visa)
- have completed at least one year of tertiary study in New Zealand for a degree in any discipline (see attached booklet for specific requirements)
- be available for full-time work between 13 November 2023 – 16 February 2024 (we have a Christmas shutdown period between 22 December – 2 January inclusive)
- be available to attend our three-day Induction Programme on 13 – 15 November in Wellington (travel costs are covered by DOC)
- have accommodation in the location you have applied for (eg family home, friends, intend to flat).
Other things you may need to know
- When you apply, you'll be asked to list your preferences – so have a good look through the internship booklet to consider what opportunities pique your interest!
- Interviews for shortlisted candidates will be held the week commencing on 25 September via Microsoft Teams.
- Reference checks and Ministry of Justice Criminal Convictions (MOJ) check will be completed for all successful candidates.
- The annualised salary offered for internship positions is $55,278.
Ready to apply?
- Read up on our projects in the attached internship booklet.
- Your application must include:
- cover letter (include the SIP code and the titles of the internships you are applying for, eg SIP001 – Freshwater Research Intern)
- latest academic transcript (screenshot will do).
Then apply online via the DOC Careers Centre.
Applications close at 5 pm on Sunday, 10 September 2023.
For further enquiries, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Oct. 6, 2023
Are you Qualified for this Internship Role?
Share with Friends!
No similar Intern Jobs at the Moment!