Finance & Sustainability Intern - Toronto, Ontario - May 2024
Posted on Sept. 7, 2023 by InternPlug
- Toronto, Canada
- Full time
- 1 Vacancy
Position Title: Finance & Sustainability Intern - Toronto, Ontario - May 2024
Position Type: Temporary - Full-Time
Position Location: Toronto HQ
Requisition ID: 24859
Potatoes. French Fries. Taters. You love them, we make them. In fact, we make 1/3 of the world’s frozen potato products and if you have eaten fries this week, chances are, they were ours.
At McCain Foods, we know the importance that food plays in people's lives - the power it has to uplift and bring people, families, businesses and communities together. Guided by our purpose to bring enjoyment to people's lives through great tasting food, we believe that working together with our teams, business and community partners will bring sustainable growth and positive change - today, tomorrow and for generations to come.
As a privately owned family company with over 60 years of experience, a presence in over 160 countries and a global team of 22,000 people, our values and culture are at the heart of everything we do.
Students like you are important to us. We aim to hire the best and brightest co-op students and interns, with the goal of having you join us as full-time employees upon graduation. Our ideal student candidate is passionate, collaborative, willing to learn and take initiative.
Why join the McCain family?
- You aren’t “just a student” at McCain, you will be treated like any other member of your team
- Work with and learn from passionate leaders
- Our core values – Family, Authentic, Trusted and Quality – shine through every day, in everything we do
- Your experience at McCain is what you make of it – ask questions, network, take advantage of the opportunity to learn from our professionals
We are looking for a Sustainable and Regenerative Agriculture Finance Intern to join us for a 4-8 month period, starting in May 2024.
This position should be based out of our Toronto location.
This opportunity will help you gain an understanding of North American potato production practices, related sustainability financing challenges and opportunities, and how to develop lasting positive change. You will also have exposure to the general operations of a globally recognized commercial Agriculture department.
Our team is comprised of 10 members. Each member has special aspects of the business they are responsible for, from raw scheduling to grower relations to storages. There is so much to learn and grow and we love teaching you what we do!
What You Will Be Working On
As our Intern, you will be assisting to research best practices, analyze data and report sustainability metrics, work directly with staff and growers to support on various Ag sustainability projects. Your tasks may include:
- Research of regional best practices for regenerative/sustainable agriculture development, and support their adoption directly with growers
- Develop understanding of, and support development of programs linking growers to the financing required for the transition to regenerative agriculture.
- Develop understanding of, and support development of, regional agricultural climate adaptation strategies
- Develop understanding of, and support development of, sustainable crop storage strategies
- Develop understanding of, and support development of, sustainability metrics and climate change adaptation potential of different potato varieties
- Collection of sustainability metrics (i.e. GHG emissions, water use, etc.) and metrics of grower adoption of regenerative agriculture (i.e. soil health, farmer profitability, biodiversity impacts, etc.)
- Building networks of support with growers, governmental agencies, ENGOs, and financial institutions across our NA growing regions
- Supporting analysis and determination of cost of production impacts, both for McCain and growers, from sustainable practices adoption
- Support cost of production modelling across North America for potato, onion, and full farm objectives
- Statistical evaluation of best practices and data trends.
- Promote relations between the company and growers through periodic farm and storage visits alongside grower field days
- Other projects as assigned.
What You Will Learn
From your first day, you are a full member of the Agriculture team and can see firsthand how our potatoes are grown and processed, from farm to fork, and the sustainability impacts that occur along the value chain. You will also collaborate with the Agronomy, Finance, Field and Production staff as they make presentations and work directly with growers. Some experiences include:
- Experiencing how growers are adopting and engaging with sustainability, and the challenges they face
- Experience interacting with financial institutions and governmental agencies offering financial incentives to growers.
- Experiencing how McCain Field Staff provide direct support and knowledge transfer to growers, allowing them to maximize sustainability and well-being
- Hands on experience with technologies and strategies used in today’s agricultural environment
What You Need to be Successful
We’re looking for a student who wants to apply their coursework in Sustainability, Environmental Science, Agronomy, Ag Economics, Business Management or a closely related field to the food processing industry. Our ideal intern brings:
- Analytical skills to see patterns and trends in data,
- Communication skills to work with stakeholders inside and outside the organization,
- Self-reliance and resourcefulness to work smarter, not just harder,
- An ability to set realistic goals while focusing intently on a project,
- Confidence in a fast-paced environment,
- Computer skills in MS Office,
- A strong work ethic.
- A valid driver’s license, be comfortable driving a full-size pick-up truck, be prepared to work outdoors
What You Can Expect From Us
- A supportive team that will encourage you to be and do your best
- A safe and flexible working environment that promotes work/life balance
- The opportunity to be part of meaningful work and projects
- The opportunity to be part of our student community, to connect with students across North America
McCain Foods is an equal opportunity employer. We see value in ensuring we have a diverse, antiracist, inclusive, merit-based, and equitable workplace. As a global family-owned company we are proud to reflect the diverse communities around the world in which we live and work. We recognize that diversity drives our creativity, resilience, and success and makes our business stronger.
McCain is an accessible employer. If you require an accommodation throughout the recruitment process (including alternate formats of materials or accessible meeting rooms), please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Job Family: Student & Graduates; Agriculture; Finance
Division: NA Appetizers
Department: Ag and Sustainability NA App
Location(s): CA - Canada : Ontario : Toronto || CA - Canada : New Brunswick : Florenceville-Bristol
Company: McCain Foods (Canada)
Oct. 7, 2023
Are you Qualified for this Internship Role?
Share with Friends!
No similar Intern Jobs at the Moment!