Human Resources Intern - Protea Hotel Breakwater Lodge
Posted on Aug. 31, 2023 by InternPlug
- Cape Town, South Africa
- Full time
- 1 Vacancy
Job DescriptionAdditional Information 18 months Fixed-Term Contract
Job Number 23157719
Job Category Human Resources
Location Protea Hotel Cape Town Waterfront Breakwater Lodge, Portswood Road, Cape Town, South Africa, South Africa VIEW ON MAP
Located Remotely? N
Position Type Non-Management
Create and maintain filing systems. Create and type office correspondence using a computer. Distribute and route mail. Order and track Human Resources office supplies and forms. Answer phone calls and record messages. Create new employee personnel file. Assist walk-in candidates with application procedures. Maintain space designated for completing applications and ensure it is clean, well maintained, and accessible to individuals with disabilities. Respond to questions, requests, and concerns from employees and management regarding company and Human Resources programs, policies and guidelines. Inform Human Resources management of issues related to employee relations within the division or property. Maintain confidentiality and security of employee and property records, files, and information. Ensure accurate maintenance of all employee records and files (e.g., interview documents, I-9's).
Follow all company policies and procedures; ensure uniform and personal appearance are clean and professional; maintain confidentiality of proprietary information; protect company assets. Report accidents, injuries, and unsafe work conditions to manager. Welcome and acknowledge all guests according to company standards. Speak with others using clear and professional language; prepare and review written documents accurately and completely; answer telephones using appropriate etiquette. Develop and maintain positive working relationships with others; support team to reach common goals; listen and respond appropriately to the concerns of other employees. Ensure adherence to quality expectations and standards. Enter and locate work-related information using computers and/or point of sale systems. Move, lift, carry, push, pull, and place objects weighing less than or equal to 10 pounds without assistance. Perform other reasonable job duties as requested by Supervisors
Safety and Security
- Report work related accidents, or other injuries immediately upon occurrence to manager/supervisor.
Policies and Procedures
- Follow company and department policies and procedures.
- Protect the privacy and security of guests and coworkers.
- Maintain confidentiality of proprietary materials and information.
- Ensure uniform, nametags, and personal appearance are clean, hygienic, professional and in compliance with company policies and procedures.
- Perform other reasonable job duties as requested by Supervisors.
- Monitor all hiring and recruitment processes for compliance. Assist with internal transfers and external hires.
- Assist with the coordination of pre-hire checks. Notify applicants of results. Schedule and track orientation.
- Coordinate all on-boarding activities for new hires (new hire set-up, job descriptions, paperwork).
- Follow all employment compliance standards for newly hired employees (I9, Job Requisition Files, Personnel Files, etc.)
- Maintain and validate all personnel records in HR Systems (Peoplesoft, GRS, E-Verify, etc.)
- Follow-up on all outstanding new hire paperwork.
- Assist management with HR Audits. Maintain tracking systems to ensure all audits are completed timely and accurate. Assist with department LOA procedures and processes.
- Prepare and review written documents (e.g., daily logs, business letters, memoranda, reports), including proofreading
- and editing written information to ensure accuracy and completeness.
- Assist management in screening resumes, conducting interviews and selecting new hourly hires using selection tools
- and systems.
Working with Others
- Support all co-workers and treat them with dignity and respect.
- Develop and maintain positive and productive working relationships with other employees and departments.
- Actively listen to and consider the concerns of other employees, responding appropriately and effectively.
- Handle sensitive issues with employees and/or guests with tact, respect, diplomacy, and confidentiality.
- Partner with and assist others to promote an environment of teamwork and achieve common goals.
Quality Assurance/Quality Improvement
- Comply with quality assurance expectations and standards.
- Enter and locate work-related information using computers and/or point of sale systems.
- Move, lift, carry, push, pull, and place objects weighing less than or equal to 10 pounds without assistance.
Communications and Relations
- Respond to questions, requests, and concerns from employees and management regarding company and Human
- Resources programs, policies and guidelines.
- Inform Human Resources management of issues related to employee relations within the division or property.
Hiring - New Employees
- Create new employee personnel file.
- Maintain confidentiality and security of employee and property records, files, and information.
- Answer phone calls and record messages.
- Create and maintain filing systems.
- Create and type office correspondence using computer.
- Ensure accurate maintenance of all employee records and files (e.g., interview documents, I-9's, reference checks,
- Drug Free Workplace Policy (DFWP), applicant self-identification forms, department orientation check list).
- Computer Skills
- Interpersonal Skills
- Team Work
- Customer Service Orientation
- Diversity Relations
- Telephone Etiquette Skills
- Applied Reading
- English Language Proficiency
- Positive Demeanor
- Stress Tolerance
- Time Management
- Detail Orientation
- Planning and Organizing
- Microsoft Office Skills
- Maintaining Confidentiality
High school diploma/G.E.D. equivalent
Related Work Experience
At least 1 year of related work experience
No supervisory experience is required
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer. We believe in hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive, people-first culture. We are committed to non-discrimination on any protected basis, such as disability and veteran status, or any other basis covered under applicable law.
Protea Hotels by Marriott® is the leading hospitality brand in Africa and one of the most widely recognized hospitality brands on the continent, with over 60 hotels across South Africa, Zambia, Nigeria, Namibia, Tanzania and Uganda. If you have a passion for delivering every guest a personalized service experience and desire to be part of the ‘Coolest Hotel Brand in South Africa’, join the Protea Hotels by Marriott® team today! In joining Protea Hotels, you join a portfolio of brands with Marriott International. Be where you can do your best work, begin your purpose, belong to an amazing globalteam, and become the best version of you.
Sept. 30, 2023
Are you Qualified for this Internship Role?
Share with Friends!
No similar Intern Jobs at the Moment!