Intern - Meteorology Support (Summer 2024)
Posted on Sept. 12, 2023 by InternPlug
- Chicago, United States of America
- Full time
- 1 Vacancy
There’s never been a more exciting time to join United Airlines. We’re on a path toward becoming the best airline in the history of aviation. Our shared purpose – Connecting People, Uniting the World – is about more than getting people from one place to another. It also means that as a global company that operates in hundreds of locations around the world with millions of customers and tens of thousands of employees, we have a unique responsibility to uplift and provide opportunities in the places where we work, live, and fly, and we can only do that with a truly diverse and inclusive workforce. And we’re growing – in the years ahead, we’ll hire tens of thousands of people across every area of the airline. Our careers include a competitive benefits package aimed at keeping you happy, healthy and well-traveled. From employee-run "Business Resource Group" communities to world-class benefits like parental leave, 401k and privileges like space available travel, United is truly a one-of-a-kind place to work. Are you ready to travel the world?
The Network Operations Center (NOC) is the heart of United Airlines, keeping operations at our airports and routes across the globe running safely and efficiently through careful planning, organization, and supervision. From weather forecasting and dispatching to fleet routing and crew scheduling, our NOC teams make caring connections with our internal customers and ultimately, United’s customers.
The main objective for the Meteorology Support Intern is to learn how to curate large volumes of weather data into useful operational insights at the world's largest airline. The Intern will have the opportunity to improve upon or create an original weather forecast product tailored to the unique needs of operational stakeholders, culminating in a presentation to Network Operations divisional leadership at the conclusion of the internship. The Intern will contribute to a key strategic initiative to design and deploy an enterprise-wide weather forecast services function supporting frontline partners across multiple operational departments.
- Contribute to the design and development of customized weather forecast data feeds and forecast products for partners across the operation.
- Collaborate with Digital Technology development teams to integrate weather data and forecast products into operational decision-support tools and projects.
- Enhance forecast quality via calibration with a combination of historical weather data and United operational data to create automated workflows for weather-focused decision-making and business continuity.
- Conduct queries, analysis, and visualization of current and past forecast data for qualitative and quantitative verification.
What’s needed to succeed (Minimum Qualifications):
- Currently pursuing a Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Meteorology, Atmospheric Sciences, or similar
- Must be available to work 40 hours a week over the Summer
- Some knowledge of operational meteorology
- Familiarity with meteorological data types and formats
- Working knowledge of at least one of the following technical skills: object-oriented programming, frontend development, data visualization, SQL, or data science
- Exemplary verbal and written communication skills
- Able to work independently on technical tasks
- Creative and flexible problem-solver
- Solid understanding of domestic and international geography
What will help you propel from the pack (Preferred Qualifications):
- Academic or extracurricular experience in operational meteorology, aviation, and/or weather data analysis
- Experience with Python programming
- Knowledge of Python libraries used to process or visualize weather data, such as Plotly, Pandas, xarray, or similar
- Experience with dashboarding or web development
- Knowledge of Github and/or AWS
- Demonstrated interest or experience in aviation meteorology
United Airlines is an equal opportunity employer. United Airlines recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, physical ability, age, veteran status and other protected status as required by applicable law. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform crucial job functions. Please contact JobAccommodations@united.com to request accommodation.
Equal Opportunity Employer - Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT
Oct. 12, 2023
Are you Qualified for this Internship Role?
Share with Friends!
No similar Intern Jobs at the Moment!