Internship - Industrial Hygiene - Summer 2024
Posted on Aug. 21, 2023 by InternPlug
- Salt Lake City, United States of America
- Full time
- 1 Vacancy
Kennecott - Summer 2024 Internship
If you want to drive real change, we have just the place to do it. Our Internship Program is an opportunity for you to shape Rio Tinto from the inside out. We want you to be part of our team to help take us forward by solving the emerging challenges of our time. At Rio Tinto, we believe the best ideas come from bringing people together with different perspectives to work toward a common goal - to create a better tomorrow.
About the role
We are offering a 3-month internship opportunity in Industrial Hygiene in Rio Tinto Kennecott in Salt Lake City, Utah.
An industrial hygiene intern will be a part of the industrial hygiene team and broader health team. The intern will assist in assessing and controlling workplace hazards to ensure the health and safety of workers. The specific tasks performed by an industrial hygiene technician may vary depending on the business plans and priorities, however, here are some common tasks:
- Workplace Inspections: Conduct regular inspections of the workplace to identify potential hazards such as chemical exposures, noise levels, ventilation issues, ergonomic concerns, and physical hazards.
- Exposure Monitoring: Performing air sampling, noise level measurements, and other monitoring techniques to assess employee exposure to various hazards. This involves using specialized equipment to collect samples and analyze them in a laboratory setting.
- Data Analysis: Analyzing collected samples and data to determine the extent of workplace hazards and evaluate compliance with safety regulations and standards.
- Hazard Assessment: Assessing the potential health risks associated with workplace hazards and evaluating their severity and likelihood of occurrence.
- Risk Management: Developing and implementing strategies to control and minimize workplace hazards, such as recommending engineering controls, administrative measures, personal protective equipment (PPE), and work practices.
- Training and Education: Providing training and education to employees on workplace hazards, safety procedures, proper use of PPE, and other relevant topics.
- Regulatory Compliance: Staying updated on relevant regulations and standards related to occupational health and safety and ensuring compliance with them.
- Incident Investigation: Participating in investigations of workplace incidents, accidents, and near misses to identify root causes and recommend preventive measures.
- Documentation and Reporting: Maintaining accurate records of inspections, monitoring data, risk assessments, and other relevant information. Preparing reports and communicating findings to management and relevant stakeholders.
Collaboration: Collaborating with other professionals, such as Safety Advisors, managers, engineers, operators, maintainers, supervisors, medical team and much more to develop and implement comprehensive health and safety programs.
What you’ll bring
- At least one year completed in Industrial Hygiene, HSE or any other related field
- Leadership skills, eagerness to learn and ready for the challenge ahead
- Flexibility and autonomy
- Good communication skills and ability to work in a team
- Valid driving license
- To be eligible, you must return to school the semester following the internship period and have the right to work full-time in the United States.
What we offer
- A work environment where safety is always the number one priority
- A competitive salary
- A relocation lump-sum offered for students (for eligible students)
- Reimburse 1-time travel to and from your work site (for eligible students)
- Ambitious, exciting and rewarding experience
- Opportunity to build relationships with the Rio Tinto team and community
- A great chance to prepare yourself to join our Graduate Development Program
Where will you be working
Rio Tinto Kennecott is a fully integrated mining operation located just outside Salt Lake City, Utah, US. Kennecott is a wholly owned subsidiary of Rio Tinto. For more than 110 years, Kennecott has been mining and processing minerals from the rich orebody of the Bingham Canyon Mine. Kennecott is a strong economic driver and strives to be a valuable community partner through strategic partnerships, charitable giving and sustainable development practices.
About Rio Tinto
Rio Tinto is a leading global mining and materials company. We operate in 35 countries where we produce iron ore, copper, aluminum, critical minerals and other materials needed for the global energy transition and for people, communities, and nations to thrive.
We have been mining for 150 years and operate with knowledge built up across generations and continents. Our purpose is finding better ways to provide the materials the world needs – striving for innovation and continuous improvement to produce materials with low emissions and to the right environmental, social and governance standards. But we can’t do it on our own, so we’re focused on creating partnerships to solve problems, create win-win and meet opportunities.
Every Voice Matters
At Rio Tinto, we particularly welcome and encourage applications from underrepresented groups such as Indigenous people, women, the LGBTI+ community, mature workers, people with disabilities and people from different cultural backgrounds.
We are committed to an inclusive environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or anything else that makes us different.
There’s no better time to lead this change than the leaders of the future and that starts with a graduate or vacation role at Rio Tinto. Apply today.
Please note, in order to be considered for this role, you must complete all pre-screening questions.
- Rio Tinto reserves the right to remove job postings as there is enough applicants, therefore, if you are interested in applying for this vacancy, please submit your application as soon as possible.
Sept. 20, 2023
Are you Qualified for this Internship Role?
Share with Friends!
No similar Intern Jobs at the Moment!