Operations Research Summer Intern 2024 (Paid)
Posted on Aug. 21, 2023 by InternPlug
- Fort Worth, United States of America
- Full time
- 1 Vacancy
Who are we:
We are one of the largest U.S. railroads transporting the nations freight across 28 western states and 3 Canadian provinces. As a member of our team, you will play a role in supporting the movement of essential products and materials that help feed, clothe, supply, and power communities throughout America and the world. Come make a difference with us!
Learn more about BNSF and our Benefits
The paid Summer Internship Program is an opportunity to experience what it’s like to be a full-time BNSF employee. As an intern at BNSF, you’ll be given real-life, impactful assignments that will put your skills and education into practice. Your summer project will combine classroom experience and real-life business situations to provide value-added work to BNSF. The program is designed to identify students who will be hired by BNSF as full-time Management Trainees after they graduate. During your summer internship, you will get the chance to network with peers, our Business Resource Groups, and Senior Leaders throughout the BNSF network.
Learn more about our Summer Intern Program
WORK LOCATION: Fort Worth, TX
ANTICIPATED START DATE: 5/29/2023
SALARY RANGE: $4,781 per month
Applicants will be notified via e-mail regarding potential interviews, testing, and hiring events for this position. Please check your e-mail on a daily basis.
About our team:
- BNSF’s Operations Research team is responsible for designing and implementing solutions to some of the many challenging problems facing the railroad. They include crew scheduling, blocking, van routing, yard simulation, track inspection, network optimization, equipment distribution optimization– just to name a few.
- Over the years, our team has developed into a tight-knit group of colleagues and friends. This creates a collaborative environment which puts each and every team member on a path to realizing their full potential.
- In recent years, our efforts have been recognized by the OR community in the following ways:
- 2018 INFORMS Prize Winner.
- Finalist for the 2018 Innovative Applications in Analytics Award.
- Finalist for the 2017 Daniel H. Wagner Prize for Excellence in Operations Research Practice.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
An OR Intern’s work in the Operations Research team at BNSF may include, but is not limited, to the following:
Work closely with OR Specialists, key business partners and subject-matter-experts to understand business problems and propose solution approaches.
Design, develop, test, and implement OR models and decision-support tools.
Perform data cleaning, manipulation, and analysis.
Communicate results with key stakeholders.
Additionally, qualified candidates must be able to:
Demonstrate the ability to perform the duties and responsibilities listed above.
Demonstrate leadership skills.
Work effectively in a team environment.
Express ideas and information clearly and concisely.
Recognize and respond effectively to unexpected situations and tight deadlines.
Demonstrate flexibility and adaptability to changing task priorities and work situations.
Demonstrate ability to complete tasks regardless of obstacles.
Primarily an office environment
Normal office hours, Monday through Friday. Remote Work Policy – 50% Work from Home and remaining time in office. Days and times can be worked out with the supervisor
Must have reliable transportation to and from work.
- Authorization to work in the US without Company sponsorship now AND in the future.
- Able and willing to relocate upon hire to Fort Worth, Texas
- Pursuing a Bachelors or Graduate degree from an accredited university, and will complete my degree no earlier than Fall 2024, Spring 2025, Fall 2025, Spring 2026, or Fall 2026.
- Familiar with at least one (1) programming language (Java, Python, C++, or another object-oriented programming language)
- Familiarity with optimization tools – e.g., CPLEX, Gurobi, FICO, etc.
- Anticipate to have at least a 2.50 cumulative GPA with a degree in Engineering OR a 2.75 or higher cumulative GPA with a non-Engineering degree.
- Have four (4) years or less of professional work experience, EXCLUDING internships, part-time jobs, or positions held pursuing a degree in high school and/or college.
- Pursuing a degree in Operations Research, Applied Mathematics, Industrial Engineering, Computer Science, Transportation, OR a similar degree program.
- Masters and Ph.D. students are preferred
BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION ELEMENTS:
- Criminal history
- Last 7 years of driving history
- Last 5 years of employment history to include military service
- Social Security number
- Medical evaluation
- Drug Screen
- Other elements as needed
BNSF is committed to a safe and drug free work place and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. All new hires are required to undergo a hair drug test which detects the presence of illegal drugs for months prior to testing. We appreciate your cooperation in keeping BNSF safe and drug free. Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC): Federal authority requires BNSF employees, whose work requires unescorted access to secure areas of port facilities, to obtain a TWIC. A TWIC is a condition of employment for such positions and requires candidates to those positions to submit to a TSA security assessment (to include, but not limited to, providing: biographic information; identity https://www.tsa.gov/for-industry/twic; fingerprints; digital photograph). More information is available at .
BNSF Railway is an Equal Opportunity Employer, all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
SF: MO | [[mfield5]] | Operations - Service Design | Fort Worth, TX | 76131
Sept. 20, 2023
Are you Qualified for this Internship Role?
Share with Friends!
No similar Intern Jobs at the Moment!