Summer Intern - Te Puawāitanga
Posted on Aug. 22, 2023 by InternPlug
- Wanganui, New Zealand
- Full time
- 1 Vacancy
The Role and Opportunity
AgResearch is looking for enthusiastic and dedicated students to join us for our Te Puāwaitanga Summer Internship.
Te Puāwaitanga interns will work from November 2023 until February 2024.
This is an exciting opportunity for you to experience what your professional career at a Crown Research Institute could be like. You will gain exposure to the science community, develop skills, and create connections that will set you up for a bright career. .
Who We Are
AgResearch is a Crown Research Institute delivering leading agricultural science and innovation to benefit the wider New Zealand economy. Our internationally recognised scientists work across the agricultural production and agrifood sectors in collaboration with a range of stakeholders both nationally and internationally, putting science and innovation at the forefront. We conduct research within five science areas – Ethical Agriculture, Resilient Agriculture, Digital Agriculture, Smart Foods and Bioproducts and Māori Research and Partnerships..
Successful applicants will receive guidance and support from Te Puāwaitanga Programme co-leads, the Māori Research & Partnership group, and their project supervisors. We will work with successful applicants to place you within an AgResearch team – this could be a science team or an operational support team – depending on your area of interest.
For incoming interns, we will match you with an existing project (either science or operational) that matches your area of study and your skill set, or we will identify an opportunity for you to co-design/co-develop a project. The project may involve Kaupapa Māori, Mātauranga Māori or have a te ao Māori focus.
Successful applicants can be based at any of our 4 campuses - Ruakura campus in Hamilton, Grasslands campus in Palmerston North, Lincoln campus in Christchurch or Invermay campus in Mosgiel. Interns are paid at the living wage rate of $26/hour. .
Your Ideal Background
- Preferably studying towards, or have recently received an undergraduate or master’s degree in a science (including statistics), social science or a business discipline (including, but not limited to agribusiness, communication or design) - while tertiary level study is preferred this is not a requirement for the right person.
- Understanding or enthusiasm for Te Ao Māori, Mātauranga Māori or Kaupapa Māori.
- Be able to commit to working from late Nov 2023 – Feb 2024 (excluding our Christmas close-down period).
- Have a keen attitude and motivation to work in an innovative environment.
- Demonstrates safe workplace behaviour by taking all practicable steps to ensure your own and others’ safety in the workplace.
Why Join Us?
Our Te Puāwaitanga internships are aimed at developing well supported pathways into a science organisation. This is an opportunity to build your skills and confidence under the guidance of our Māori Research & Partnership Group, AgResearch teams and alongside other students and early career researchers.
Upon completing your internship, you will have the opportunity to present your learnings, outcomes, and experience from your project.
Some of the benefits for our internship include:
• Mentorship and guidance
- Gain practical experience from some of the experts in your field
- Developing connections with the wider research community
- Exposure to working as part of a Crown Research Institute
How to Apply
Contact Louise Hennessy, Scientist and Early Career Ambassador (Māori Research & Partnership Group) on Louise.Hennessy@agresearch.co.nz if you have any questions or queries about the Te Puāwaitanga internship.
Please apply through our career portal today, including a CV and a Cover Letter. In your letter you may like to include details about your journey in Te Ao Māori to date. Whether you have recently begun, or have grown up fully immersed in Te Ao Māori, we would love to hear about your experiences. Applications close Sunday 10 September 2023.
Sept. 21, 2023
Are you Qualified for this Internship Role?
Share with Friends!
No similar Intern Jobs at the Moment!