Web Application Development Intern (Fall 2023)
Posted on Aug. 16, 2023 by InternPlug
- Ottawa, Canada
- Full time
- 1 Vacancy
Ciena is committed to our people-first philosophy. Our teams enjoy a culture focused on prioritizing a personalized and flexible work environment that empowers an individual’s passions, growth, wellbeing and belonging. We’re a technology company that leads with our humanity—driving our business priorities alongside meaningful social, community, and societal impact.
- We are big proponents of life-work integration and provide the flexibility and tools to make it a reality with remote work and potentially, part-time work.
- We believe an inclusive, diverse, and barrier-free work environment makes for empowered and committed employees.
- We recognize the importance of well-being and offer programs and benefits to support and sustain the mental and physical health of our employees and their families and provide a variety of paid family leave programs.
- We are committed to employee development, offering tuition reimbursement, in-house learning, and mentorship opportunities.
- We know that financial security is important. We offer competitive salaries and incentive programs, RSU’s (job level specific) and an employee share option purchase program.
- We realize time away to recharge is non-negotiable. We offer flexible paid time off!
- Great work deserves recognition. We have a robust recognition program, with ongoing and enhanced awards for exemplary performance.
How You Will Contribute:
At Ciena, the Product Life Cycle Project Management and R&D teams work in close collaboration to deliver world-class products with predictability in time, cost, scope, and quality, while maintaining agility in the face of changing business conditions. An integral part of the product delivery mechanism is a set of tools and applications that support key development and project management processes through project reporting, productivity enhancements, and workflow simplification. Expanding the breadth of these tools and applications, and evolving their capabilities, will further contribute to the objective of predictable product delivery.
Working in conjunction with the Product Life Cycle Project Management and R&D teams, the successful applicant with a background in Computer Science or Engineering will apply their skills of UI design, and knowledge of web development technologies, to define and develop applications that contribute to the successful delivery of innovative products. More specifically, you will:
- Work with members of the PLC Project Management and R&D teams to identify new application needs, prioritize, and develop requirements.
- Recommend appropriate technologies, then implement, test, and deliver key applications within a web framework.
- Hold frequent demos for users as the implementation is refined and incorporate feedback.
- Document applications from both user and developer perspectives, and deliver training specific to those communities as required.
- Apply your knowledge of modern software development practices throughout the project.
What Does Ciena Expect of You?
- Initiative – You are a self-starter who works with limited direction and is committed to delivering against aggressive deadlines.
- Agility – you are readily able to adapt to changing priorities.
- Communication – you have the ability to tailor your message and ideas to the audience to ensure understanding and agreement.
- Relationship builder – with strong communication and proven technical skills, you develop trusted connections across multiple disciplines / sites.
- Ability to go ‘up and down the ladder’ – capable of seeing the big picture, but also understanding the importance of the details and analysis.
- Flexibility to work independently and as part of a broader team – you thrive in a multi-disciplinary team environment, but are comfortable working independently as required.
- Commitment to innovation – you maintain awareness of evolving technologies and their application, and are always keen to propose new ideas.
The Must Haves:
- Working toward a Bachelor’s degree in Electrical/Computer Engineering, Computer Science or a related field, with real-world experience contributing to software development projects in a team environment.
- Proficiency in Python programming
- Knowledge of web frameworks such as Angular, Django
- Experience with Git, Linux, bash scripting, REST APIs
- Familiarity with Jira and Confluence.
At Ciena, we are committed to building and fostering an environment in which our employees feel respected, valued, and heard. Ciena values the diversity of its workforce and respects its employees as individuals. We do not tolerate any form of discrimination.
If contacted in relation to a job opportunity, please advise Ciena of any accommodation measures you may require.
Sept. 15, 2023
Are you Qualified for this Internship Role?
Share with Friends!
No similar Intern Jobs at the Moment!